The Student News Site of St. Mark's School of Texas

ReMarker

St. Mark's School of Texas
10600 Preston Road Dallas, TX 75230

ReMarker

ReMarker

Lange photographs wonders of the world

Assistant Head of Middle School Jason Lange has made it his mission to visit and take pictures of every continent and country. He posts his photos on his website called Moon Base Operations. Out of thousands of photos he has taken, these are his favorites:

• “The Wave” As one of the most remarkable geological sites in Arizona, the Vermillion Cliffs posed a significant challenge for Lange to reach. After several miles and hours of hiking in the hot Arizona sun, he finally got his reward— a desolate, lonely, yet numbingly beautiful landscape straight out of a painting. In order for Lange to be allowed to go, he had to enter his name into a lottery. He was a part of the lucky 10 percent who made the trip to the cliffs.

• “School” In 2016, Lange traveled with the photography class to the Bumthang Valley of Bhutan. This portrait of a student at a local elementary school depicts the commonality of schoolwork, something that many cultures can relate to. Lange learned to be comfortable taking photographs of others at close range on this particular trip.

• “Cuddle Cubs” The Okavango Delta of Botswana posed a rare opportunity for Lange to connect with the wildlife of the surrounding region. He drove into the savanna at sunset and saw three lion cubs rolling around and playing with each other. The cubs reminded Lange of middle school kids playing on the quad at lunchtime. To take the photo, Lange had to get incredibly close to the lions, getting within two or three feet of the cubs and their mother, making sure not to make any sudden movements.

• “The Walking Dead” For Lange, the combination of the sheer isolation, natural beauty and history of Easter Island that makes it unique. It is unlike anything he has ever seen. It is the most geographically isolated human settlement on Earth. What intrigues him the most about Easter Island is the history of the indigenous people—the Rapa Nui, whose civilization has disappeared. The haunting monolithic Moai statues hint at its people’s tragic past. “It’s a great microcosm of Earth,” Lange said. “This was a civilization that was destroyed by environmental irresponsibility. The people who lived there deforested the island, drank all the freshwater, and eventually drove themselves to extinction.”

• “All 7” One of the most life-changing excursions Lange has had the chance to take was a trip to Antarctica over 15 years ago. After departing from Ushuaia, Argentina, Lange spent a lengthy two weeks living aboard a research vessel with college students studying history and global climate change. In their downtime, they boarded small black Zodiac inflatable rafts to drill ice cores on the mainland and to explore the continent and their research station. The 14-day journey reframed Lange’s perception of the environment, ecology and sustainability. “Antarctica is the most fascinating place I’ve ever been on Earth,” Lange said. “It’s the closest I’ll ever get to going to another planet…I encourage anybody who gets a chance to visit Antarctica to go, but tread lightly.”

• “Far Far Away” This photo by Lange depicts Uluru, or Ayers Rock, a monument of sandstone rising up from the sparse Australian outback. The scale of the rock is difficult to comprehend from just a photo—thousands of feet tall and miles wide, it is the largest monolithic rock on earth. Its history is just as vast, since it has been a spiritual landmark for the Aboriginal people of Australia for thousands of years. Lange’s 2009 trip to central Australia also has the distinction of being furthest he has ever been from home.

• “Superpower” Lange’s favorite city on Earth is Moscow, Russia—a dazzling city with a deeply layered past. Lange traveled to Moscow’s Red Square just in time to witness their celebration of the new year, 2012, with a fireworks show over St. Basil’s Cathedral and the Kremlin. Moscow is more than just an image on a postcard to Lange—he lived there for a year, and knows its flashy culture well. “I think it’s similar to Dallas in ways,” Lange said, “It is a city that likes to flaunt its wealth. It’s very much about what money can buy.” Even though he has a special relationship with the city, Lange cannot completely sever his connection to a childhood of Cold War tensions. “I felt like Moscow was a place I shouldn’t be allowed to stand in,” Lange said.

• “Pale Blue Dot” A little closer to home, this photograph is a long-exposure image of the Milky Way rising over Terlingua, Texas, near Big Bend National Park. It is one of the darkest places on earth, encompassing thousands of square miles of off-the-grid communities, silently enjoying their dark corner of the world. It is a 12 hour drive from Dallas, all the way from one end of Texas to the other. For Lange, it was worth it—the journey into the desert at night in pitch-black darkness was a chance for him to try his hand at astrophotography. Even with the naked eye, every bit of the night sky is visible.