Cricket finds home at St. Mark’s through Cricket Club

PHOTO / COURTESY CREATIVE COMMONS

On Thursday, Sept. 21, students and faculty packed into Spencer Gym for the club fair. For the first time, Cricket Club was seen among the many clubs that were presenting. With a passion for a sport that sees almost no recognition in America, club president and senior Sharang Vyas was inspired.

Growing up, cricket wasn’t always a part of Vyas’ life. It wasn’t until recently that Vyas really gained an interest in the sport, amidst the Cricket World Cup.

“My dad inspired me to start the club,” Vyas said. “I never got too into it until recently, when I started watching games with him.”

Vyas and his new club saw a huge success at the club fair. With over 50 members signed up and upwards of 20 attending the first meeting, the sport has caught the attention of many upper school students.

“A lot of people showed up to the first meeting to learn about the sport, before we went out and play,” Vyas said.

While the club’s current focus remains on educating students about and watching the game, Vyas plans to begin playing amongst members or with other people in the greater Dallas area later in the year.

“I kind of wanted to get people introduced first and then around December we’re going to go out and play,” Vyas said. “It’s not too serious, so I wanted to make it enjoyable for everyone.”

With the introduction of the new cricket league in the United States, Major League Cricket and their new Dallas team, the Texas Super Kings, Vyas hopes that the sport he loves will finally get the recognition it deserves.

“Hopefully in 10 to 15 years the sport will grow big enough to where people will watch and schools all over the country will have teams,” Vyas said.