Finding wonder: embracing the beauty of curiosity

Focus Editor Dawson Yao
Focus Editor Dawson Yao

A couple of months ago, my sister approached me, asking for help with a math question she was having trouble with at the time. Being the (doubtfully) good brother that I am, I accepted, eager to draw upon my supposed well of knowledge to assist, and was prepared to offer a lengthy explanation of her problem.

But in my haste, I rushed my process, and instead directly spit out the answer. And almost as quickly as she had entered my room, my sister left, content with the bare-bones number from our brief conversation.

It was almost as if she just wanted the answer.

It was almost as if she couldn’t care less about nuanced explanation.

It was almost as if there was no wonder: no drive to learn about the fundamental components that made the answer possible.

There was, however, a drive to get her grade up.

As our system currently stands, there’s quite obviously a necessity to solely focus on the numbers. All students, including myself, have done things by the book, flipping through SparkNotes and slideshows alike to reach that illustrious A. And what consequentially becomes lost from people like my sister, myself, and others, is that sense of wonder.

That sense of wonder that comes from a true appreciation of the things that allow things to be.

That sense of wonder that can come from admiring a detailed literary analysis, an airtight sports play, or the magnificent expanse of the Pecos wilderness.

That sense of wonder that comes from appreciating beauty.

In today’s competitive environment, our schedules are jam-packed – we’ve left no room for anything else. Everything is done with the intention of efficiency, and with the desire and a goal for external goods and satisfaction.

So even if it may be for just a moment, let’s remember to take a step back, and remind ourselves of the beauty of our world.

And in doing so feel like children enveloped in curiosity, with a newfound appreciation for the brilliance of it all.