Hip-hop head to head: Yeat’s “2093”

Final rating: 9.5/10
Album cover for Yeats 2093 album.
PHOTO / COURTESY CREATIVE COMMONS
Album cover for Yeat’s “2093” album.

Although Yeat’s “2093” marks his fourth studio album, it feels less like an album and more like a movie soundtrack. With a carefully crafted soundscape and mysterious ad-libs, this album is meant to be a transformative experience as opposed to a casual listen of a few tracks. With production coming mainly from the likes of Synthetic and other members of Yeat’s newly formed label “Lyfestylecorporation,” each track feels like a roller-coaster of moods.

Take the second track of the album “Power Trip” for example: the song starts off with a set of melodic keys repeating the same few notes with two layers of Yeat’s voice harmonizing with one another. Then seemingly out of nowhere, but somehow, still in a smooth manner, the mood of the track becomes much darker. A deep growling bass and a violin that seemingly fluctuates from playing in and out of key dominate the instrumental whilst Yeat’s vocals take center stage. Following the bass and the violin, the drums fill in the rest of the instrumental. This makes up almost the entire track until the last forty-five seconds, where the instrumental suddenly switches to a beautiful soundscape featuring large and harmonized chords, birds chirping in the background and background vocals from Childish Gambino.

This track is just one example of not only the impressive soundscape and concept this album takes on, but also the versatility of Yeat and his ability to cultivate new sounds as he sets himself apart from others in the industry and establishes his place as the artist leading this generation’s new sound.

Moreover, this album showcases features from some of the largest artists in the industry, with Drake, Future, and Childish Gambino all making their own cameos. Upon its initial release, the track “Breathe” was the most popular track off the album; recently, however, the track “If We Being Real” has been gaining popularity, reaching over a million streams a day in recent weeks.

If you are looking for a complete piece of music and a transformative experience with a scenic and rich soundscape, Yeat’s “2093” is the perfect choice.