Hip-hop head to head: Metro Boomin & Future’s “WE DON’T TRUST YOU”

The classic trap album receives an 8/10
WE+DONT+TRUST+YOU+album+cover+for+Future+%26+Metro+Boomins+successful+album.+
PHOTO / COURTESY CREATIVE COMMONS
“WE DON’T TRUST YOU” album cover for Future & Metro Boomin’s successful album.

Metro Boomin and Future’s “WE DON’T TRUST YOU” is truly an authentic classic from one of the most acclaimed hip-hop duos in the last decade.

Releasing his first album in over a year, Future teams up with legendary hip-hop producer Metro Boomin to deliver the quintessential trap album.

Future’s lyrics and eerie vocals perfectly convey the main message of the album while blending perfectly with Metro’s timeless production. Along with beautiful production and having a full concept, the line-up of features on this album is of all-star caliber. With features from Playboi Carti, The Weeknd, Travis Scott, and Kendrick Lamar, these artists provide a more dynamic piece to each track they are featured on, with each artist providing their own memorable verses and ad-libs.

My personal favorite track on this album is “Ain’t No Love” due to it’s high-quality production reminiscent of some of Future’s older work from his 2015 album “DS2” such as “Blood On the Money,” which both feature production from legendary hip-hop producer Zaytoven. The classical grand piano combined with Zaytoven’s signature bell work together to create a new yet strikingly familiar and timeless sound.

The most notable song on this album, however, is certainly “Like That,” the sixth track on the album. Featuring production from Metro Boomin’s own interpolation of an early 2000’s hip-hop classic “Everlasting Bass” by Rodney O and Joe Cooley, Kendrick Lamar’s energetic flow and delivery on his verses as well as the shots he takes at the other two major hip-hop artists Drake and J. Cole have made this song one the most popular on the album.

Although this album is a classic piece of hip-hop, some tracks on the album seem slightly mundane after listening more than once. Some tracks also seem like they drag on for too long, which certainly ruins the replay value of certain tracks.

If you are looking for a classic Future album with familiar trap production, look no further than “WE DON’T TRUST YOU”.