Middle School Math Team shines in competition

PHOTO / COURTESY DEVELOPMENT OFFICE
The team poses outside their bus with various awards won during the competition

Earlier this month, the Middle School math team attended a statewide University Interscholastic League (UIL) competition for mathematics with more than 2,300 competitors from 40 schools within the 5A division participating. The students who competed from the school ranged from sixth all the way up to eighth grade.

Although the entire team did well, placing second in general math and third in science, several younger students excelled, which made club sponsor Lynne Steckler optimistic for the future of the math team.

“We had a really solid group of seventh graders this year as well as some strong sixth graders,” Steckler said. “We’re hoping that they return and invite some friends so that they can become leaders on the team.”

One of these seventh graders who had an impact on the team was Brennan Bosita, who placed second on the science test. He plans to grow from his success this year, while also realizing that more improvements can always be made.

“I have learned to not dwell on my mistakes and to focus on what needs improvement,” Bosita said. “My favorite part of the competition was not only seeing myself improve, but also observing the improvement and success of my teammates around me.”

While fifth graders could not participate in the state competition, they will join next year in sixth grade and continue to learn from this year’s competitors.