The expansion of women’s sports

Assignments Editor Neil Yepuri
Scott Peek
Assignments Editor Neil Yepuri

What does excellence mean in sports?

To me, excellence commands attention. 

It can turn an otherwise-entertaining spectacle into must-watch TV.

For the first time, there is true, widespread excellence on display in women’s basketball. It’s the reason I had to keep that national championship game on, even on a Sunday when I was behind on my work. 

Now, to say that the players who came before this new generation were not great is incorrect and disrespectful to their contributions to the growth of the game. Pioneers like Lisa Leslie and Sheryl Swoopes, as well as generational superstars like Diana Taurasi and Sue Bird, all deserve their praise. 

But, it’s also perfectly fine to say that no single female basketball player has commanded the eye of the sports world like Caitlin Clark. 

The newfound excellence that was created by consistent strong investment at youth levels is finally being realized in the rapidly growing popularity of the game.

This era of women’s basketball has the potential to be similar to the late 1970s and early 1980s in the men’s game. It has the role model. It has the fan hype, slowly building and surrounding the game, and even pulling in those who otherwise wouldn’t be watching sports. It’s engaging the seasoned fans and newcomers to the game alike.

That’s why Clark had unreal sums thrown at her for advertising and apparel rights – notably, millions more than she’ll likely ever make just playing the game of basketball.

ESPN Vice President of Production Patricia Lowry presented the phenomenon in women’s basketball not as a fluke, but as the start of a massive progression into the mainstream for the sport.

So far, she’s been proven right. 

The best part is, it’s not just in basketball. Women’s soccer is reaching its highest level around the globe. The Olympics this summer will showcase the individual dominance of swimming stars like Katie Ledecky and  new generational track phenoms from across the country. 

At an all-boys school, we don’t often interact with these sports. However, I’d encourage us to sit back, grab our popcorn, and support these women who are reshaping the game.

It’s the changing face of sports and it’s happening right in front of our eyes.