Categories:

Stegemoeller to teach new philosophy course

Stegemoeller assists one of his students in class
PHOTO / SEBASTIAN GONZALEZ

Next year, the school will add the course Building a Way with Literature & Philosophy to the curriculum. Seasoned teacher Martin Stegemoeller, Malcolm K. and Brachman Master Teaching Chair, will instruct this new class that focuses on ethical philosophy. Students will explore topics present in texts such as Plato’s Republic and the Book of Job.

“Ethics is my specialty,” Stegemoeller said. “I think the boys really like studying it. It’s for the kids who liked English 10.”

As well as studying texts about ethics, the course will also encourage students to create a guide for healthy living. Topics such as finding success in life and how to mold one’s life are discussed with the aim to prepare students for later in life.  

“The purpose of the class is to do a deeper dive than English 10,” Stegemoeller said. “How you can live your life to get the most out and to explore some of the most profound literature and philosophy ever written to help you live your life and succeed, thrive, make a great contribution to the world.” 

The class isn’t entirely new, stemming from previous classes taught by Stegemoeller with similar topics. 

“I taught literature philosophy years ago, and it was very popular,” Stegemoeller said. “As I moved back up to Upper School, we needed to come up with a new elective for me to teach, and it seemed like a new version of my old course could be popular.” 

Although differing in some ways from the previous course, Stegemoeller is optimistic about the future of the class, which will have two classes. Part of this excitement is due to being able to see the growth and development of students he had previously taught. 

“I’m really excited about it,” Stegemoeller said. “A lot of my students I have taught in eighth grade have signed up. I’m eager to see how those kids have developed and what kind of students they are now. It’s happening and there’s so much interest.”