AI Club prepares for the year

Kayden Zhong
Junior Ethan Zhang is hard at work at AI club.

With the onset of increasingly powerful AI technologies, it is no surprise that one of the newest additions to the extensive list of clubs at St. Mark’s is the AI Club. Co-founder Junior Max Yan talks about the plans for the club.

Kayden Zhong: Why did you decide to start AI Club?

Max Yan: Because it’s a really important topic, and also I have some projects that I really want to do using AI. But by doing this club everyone will all learn together and grow, and hopefully by the end of the year everybody will be able to do their own project. [Being able to use AI] is just a useful skill to have.

KZ: What sorts of projects are being planned for the club?

MY: We took a survey of the club members to see what they wanted to do. A chess AI, a map analyzer and even a neural network that can play Mario Kart were a few ideas.

KZ: How have the first few meetings gone?

MY: We meet every other week on Fridays. On the first meeting we had, we set up everybody’s computers so that they could use Python, Conda, VSCode, etc. Last week we talked a little about logistic regression.

KZ: How do you plan to differentiate AI Club from other technology-focused clubs?

MY: AI Club is a little more on the learning side. You don’t need any experience [with AI] to come or even coding experience. Everyone can learn the basics and how to work bunch of different models.