Student jobs in athletics provide experience

PHOTO / WINSTON LIN

Whether it be out on the field during a football game or inside the gym for basketball, you’ve most likely seen one of your friends working the scoreboard or the chains. These small jobs that are often overlooked are something the athletic department has offered to high school students for years and are a great way to get involved with the athletic community.
“We have student announcers for our football and baseball games as well as basketball scorebooks and the chain crew,” associate athletic director Josh Friesen said.
Although most students prefer watching games from the stands, working one of these jobs is an easy way to get involved with the teams as well as earning money.
“Usually, the game is an hour and a half, and the boys are getting paid $25 a game,” Friesen said. “You get to watch some of your friends and help the school at the same time.”
While working the chains or the scorebook may seem unappealing, there is also an opportunity for students to explore their interests by being able to use the PA system at home football and baseball games.
“We have had a fair number of guys that have gotten real world experience and have gone on to become broadcast journalists,” Friesen said. “We had a guy that was working for ESPN, a guy who was announcing minor league baseball games and another guy who became a sports anchor for a news station.”
Smaller jobs for sporting events have also landed numerous students an opportunity to work other sports related jobs over the summer.
“I’ve written letters of recommendation for guys that were looking for a summer job,” Friesen said. “Working these jobs has given an adult the ability to vouch for their ability to do basic jobs.”
Another passion that has gained popularity among the student body is sports videography. For some it’s merely a hobby done on a volunteer basis, but there is also an opportunity to earn money through the athletic department for shooting games.
“Guys have come in to talk to Mr. Lissemore and have said hey, I’d like to offer this service,” Friesen said. From there they negotiate a fee and once it’s done, they send over an invoice and present their product and they get paid more than $25.”
As more high school students are searching for summer jobs and extra ways to make money, working a game for the school is an easy way to earn money and open doors in the future.
“If you’re going to watch a game and support your classmates, you might as well be getting paid to do it and be right in the middle of it,” Friesen said.