Upper school club fair recap

PHOTO/ WINSTON LIN
Students eagerly wait in line to sign up for clubs.

Excitement filled the air as all upper school Marksmen filed into Spencer Gym to pursue an array of campus clubs Thursday, Sept. 21. The annual club fair allows both long-standing and novel clubs to advertise themselves to fellow students and faculty members. The club fair has served as a pivotal day in the path to manhood of many Marksmen. 

Any upper school student is welcome to create a club and participate in the Club Fair by submitting a charter to the administration prior to the event. Clubs serve as a creative outlet to showcase and explore talents outside the classroom and to create confidence and community among the student body. 

This year’s fair boasted many well-loved, returning clubs like the Elevated Cooking Club and Habitat for Humanity. In addition, several new clubs such as the EA sports club or the Poker Club came to make a name for themselves. 

Some clubs aim to help community spirit flourish. For example, this year’s SuperFanMen sponsored the SM’s Ultras in hopes of spreading school pride like never before by assigning grade-wide “mini-superfanmen”.

Other clubs came with the goal of serving those in need.  Juniors Lawrence Gardner and Andrew Jin founded the Beacon Hill Club with assistance from IDLC Director Lorre Allen to provide online tutoring opportunities for Marksmen to assist younger students from other schools during their free periods. 

Clubs like the Hawaiian Club and Spanish Club seek to educate students on interesting and exciting cultures through fun lessons and games. 

The options were limitless at this year’s club fair.  The only question was how to find enough time to take advantage of all the amazing opportunities.