Across the quad – a conversation with junior John Householder

PHOTO / WILL CLIFFORD
Junior John Householder walks across the quad.

Q: What do you like doing at St. Mark’s? 

Householder: 

There’s a lot to like about St. Mark’s, especially because a lot of my teachers are very passionate about what they teach. For example, Mr. Fisher goes all-out in economics. Another thing I really like is the freedom and involvement that takes place in high school, just the amount of support I give and receive from my classmates. 

Q: What do you like to do on the weekends? 

Householder: 

There’s a difference between what I do, and what I like to do. Obviously, there’s a lot of work from St. Mark’s, so I probably spend my Sunday evening doing work. I like to clear Friday and Saturday night. Just do whatever, hang out with friends if I don’t have a volleyball game. It’s just a mix of schoolwork, you know, training, hanging out with friends and the occasional volleyball. 

Q: How involved in volleyball are you? 

Householder:  

I would say very involved. This is my third year on the varsity squad, and it has a great environment. The guys are always super supportive, and our coach is incredible.   

Q: What’s your favorite class this year? 

Householder: 

My favorite class is economics because I find the subject super interesting and very applicable to life. My teacher is super passionate, and very good at what he does. 

Q: What do you want to study in college? 

Householder: 

As of right now, I’m leaning toward three different fields: engineering, business or economics.  

Q: What advice would you want to give yourself when you joined St. Mark’s? 

Householder:  

Enjoy the moments when you can, because it flies by. I feel like I was just walking to the Chapel in second grade, and I just blinked, now I’m in a junior. I didn’t enjoy my middle school years, or my freshman year as much as I would have liked to. I chose to stay home instead of going to hang out with friends. 

Q: What advice would you give to students starting high school?  

Householder: 

Build connections with others. Not only because it’s good to support your classmates and make friends, but also because it can help you in the future. St. Mark’s has a network of very high achieving, very driven and very ambitious young men.