SuperFanMen introduce “SM Ultras”

This year, Seniors Mitchell Galardi, CJ Ness and Alex Barrett have been elected by their peers to  hold the coveted position of a Superfanman. However, informing students and faculty about teams and games, as well as getting the crowd involved, can be challenging at times for just three people. Enter the SM Ultras.

Inspired by European soccer, Galardi has come up with the idea of SM Ultras: a select group of students chosen by the SuperFanMen who will serve as leaders for their grade in terms of showing up to games, pumping up the crowd, and dedicating themselves to the theme.

“I contacted a couple of guys who all three SuperFanMen had known to be active at the games and were big fans throughout all of last year,” Galardi said.

Galardi hopes the new role will play a large part in increasing attendance and enthusiasm in the student section at games to come.

“I think if we could bring energy to every game, it would make for an awesome experience,” Galardi said.

Galardi, Ness and Barrett all share a common interest when it comes to SM Ultras. They hope the program serves as a building block for students involved to become more invested in school spirit and potential SuperFanMen later down the road.

“We kind of see it as a pipeline for SuperFanMen,” Galardi said. “If you are active in this, you are becoming a better fan and subsequently a SuperFanMen.”